“Mango” is one thing which I have found that almost all the people love. Raw mango is used extensively in my native place. It could be a fish curry, a chamandi, a pickle or some curry with coconut, if it is a season for good tangy raw mangoes, it surely will be the ingredient of at-least one of the dishes prepared for a meal. Even when I started with my cooking experiments the mango dishes were always something which I wanted to learn quickly. This Manga Mappas curry I can hardly recollect my mom preparing it. I have had it more at my aunt’s place. I have already shared this recipe with most of my friends and so thought it should be a good pick for this recipe collection.
- Raw Mango – 2 numbers
- Onion – 2 numbers
- Ginger – medium sized piece
- Green Chilly – 2 numbers
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Turmeric Powder (1/4 teaspoon), Chilly Powder(1/2 teaspoon, Garam Masala(1/2 teaspoon), Salt
- Coconut Milk made from 1 cup of coconut (*more details below)
- Coconut Oil – 3 teaspoons
* Coconut Milk that I used was prepared at home. To prepare coconut milk for above recipe you can refer the Tips & Tricks page.
- Chop onion and ginger finely. Cut the mangoes into thin slices(First cut the mango vertically and then get fine slices but cutting it horizontally). Cut the chilly vertically.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan. Add onions and ginger followed by green chilly and curry leaves. Saute till it changes colour to a light brown shade.
- Add Turmeric Powder (1/4 teaspoon), Chilly Powder (1/4 teaspoon), Garam Masala (1/2 teaspoon). Add salt to taste. Mix it well with the sauted onions and let it fry on low flame for about a minute.
- Now put the mango slices into the pan. Keep it covered and let it cook till the mango pieces become soft.
- Pour the second milk into the pan and mix the contents. Let it simmer for about 4-5 minutes.
- Finally pour the first milk into the pan and stir it so that it mixes well. Now you can take the pan off the flame (It is important to see that the contents are not left to boil once the first milk is poured)